[Lightning-dev] Recovery of Lightning channels without backups

Lloyd Fournier lloyd.fourn at gmail.com
Mon May 3 01:01:48 UTC 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 06:15, David A. Harding <dave at dtrt.org> wrote:

> why can't she sign a message that gets gossiped across the network that
> says, "if you have a channel with node_id 0xa11ce, please close it now"?

Hi David,

As a user this would be an improvement. There are a few downsides though:

1. It creates a new gossip message that can be spammed.
2. It is not easy to figure out whether it worked or not (maybe the person
I had my channel with is offline?).
3. This is incompatible with covert recovery schemes like in [1] whereas
what I propose here builds towards making such schemes possible in the
future.

(3) is also a problem with just doing encrypted backups -- going around
looking for backups means you tell everyone that you are in recovery mode.

[1]:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/2020-December/002912.html

LL