[Lightning-dev] Recovery of Lightning channels without backups

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Mon May 3 12:50:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 11:01:48AM +1000, Lloyd Fournier wrote:
> 2. It is not easy to figure out whether it worked or not

Good point.

> 3. This is incompatible with covert recovery schemes like in [1] [...]
> (3) is also a problem with just doing encrypted backups -- going around
> looking for backups means you tell everyone that you are in recovery mode.

Eh, I assume nodes using the backup commons would, each time they're
restarted, go through the steps of downloading some number of backups
even if they haven't lost any data.  This tests that the backups are
being stored faithfully (essential to any backup process) and provides
cover for cases where a node does lose data.

Thus encrypted backups seem fully compatible to me with covert recovery.
Sorry, I didn't realize that compatibility was one of your design goals
for seed-based peer rediscovery.

-Dave