[Lightning-dev] In-protocol liquidity probing and channel jamming mitigation

Joost Jager joost.jager at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:20:50 UTC 2021

There could be some corners where the incentives may not work out 100%, but
I doubt that any routing node would bother exploiting this. Especially
because there could always be that reputation scheme at the sender side
which may cost the routing node a lot more in lost routing fees than the
marginal gain from the upfront payment.

Another option is that nodes that don't care to be secretive about their
channel balances could include the actual balance in a probe failed
message. Related: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lightning-rfc/pull/695

Overall it seems that htlc-less probes are an improvement to what we
currently have. Immediate advantages include a reduction of the load on
nodes by cutting out the channel update machinery, better ux (faster
probes) and no locked up liquidity. On the longer term it opens up the
option to charge for failed payments so that we finally have an answer to
channel jamming.

ZmnSCPxj, as first person to propose the idea (I think?), would you be
interested in opening a draft PR on the spec repository that outlines the
new message(s) that we'd need and continue detailing from there?

Joost