[Lightning-dev] [RFC] Lightning gossip alternative

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:38:40 UTC 2022

Hi Rusty,

> Timestamps are replaced with block heights.

This is a conceptually small change, but would actually make things like
rate limiting updates for implementations easier and more uniform. A simple
rule would be only allowing an update per block, which cuts down a lot on
potential chatter traffic, but maybe it's _too_ restrictive? Based on my
network observations, these days some many power user nodes more
aggressively
update their fee schedules in response to liquidity imbalances or as an
attempt to incentive usage of some channels vs others.

> 1. Nodes send out weekly node_announcement_v2, proving they own some
> UTXOs.

If a node doesn't send out this announcement, then will others start to
ignore their "channels"?

> 3. This uses UTXOs for anti-spam, but doesn't tie them to channels
> directly.

As I hinted a bit in prior discussion, and also my recent ML [1] post
outlining a possible "do most of the same things" stop gap, this has the
potentially undesirable effect of allowing parties on the network to utilize
_existing_ outputs to advertise false channels and inflate the "total
network capacity" metric. We'd effectively be moving away from "Alice and
Bob have N BTC of bound capacity between them to", "Bob has N BTC he can use
for signing these proofs".

Also while we're at it, why not add a merkle proof here (independent of
which direction we go with) which makes it possible for constrained/mobile
nodes to more easily verify gossip data (could be an optional query flag).

> FIXME: what about tapscripts?

Yeah, one side effect of moving to nodes advertising how much BTC they can
sign w/ vs the _actual_ BTC they have in "channels", is that to extend
validation here, the verifiers would need to fully verify possible script
path spends (assuming a scenario where a NUMs point is used as the internal
key).

> Legacy proofs are two signatures, similar to the existing
> channel_announcement.

Why not musig2? We'd be able to get away with just a single sig with this
modified `node_announcement_v2` and if we go the `channel_announcement2`
route, we'd be able to compress those 4 sigs into one.

> - If two node_announcement_v2 claim the same UTXO, use the first seen,
> discard any others.

So then this would mean that nodes that _actually_ have a channel between
them can't _individually_ claim the capacity?

> - node_announcement_v2 are discarded after a week (1000 blocks).  - Nodes
> do not need to monitor existence of UTXOs after initial check (since they
> will automatically prune them after a week).

A side effect of this would be _continual_ gossip churn in order to keep
channels alive. Today we do have the 2 week `channel_update` heart beat, but
channel updates are relatively small compared to this `node_announcement_v2`
message.

> - The total proved utxo value (not counting any utxos which are spent) is
> multiplied by 10 to give the "announcable_channel_capacity" for that node.

I don't see how this is at all useful in practice. We'd end up with inflated
numbers for the total node capacity, and path finding would be more
difficult as it isn't clear exactly how large an HTLC I can send over the
"channel". Sure there's the existence of max_htlc, but in that case why add
this "leverage" factor in the first place?

> 1. type: 273 (`channel_update_v2`)

This seems to allow the advertisement of channels which aren't actually
anchored in the chain, which I *think* is a cool thing to have? On the other
hand, the graph at the _edge_ level would be far more dynamic than it is
today (Bob can advertise an entirely distinct topology from one day to
another). Would need to think about the implications here for path finding
algorithms and nodes that want to maintain an update to date view of the
network...

> - `channel_id_and_claimant` is a 31-bit per-node channel_id which can be
> used in onion_messages, and a one bit stolen for the `claim` flag.

Where would this `channel_id` be derived from? FWIW, using this value in the
onion means we get a form of pubkey based routing [3] depending on how these
are derived.

> This simplifies gossip, requiring only two messages instead of three,
> and reducing the UTXO validation requirements to per-node instead of
> per-channel.

I'm not sure this would actually _simplify_ gossip in practice, given that
we'd be moving to a channel graph that isn't entirely based in the reality
of what's routable, and would be far more dynamic than it is today.

> We can use a convention that a channel_update_v2 with no `capacity` is a
> permanent close.

On the neutrino side, we tried to do something where if we see both channels
be disabled, then we'd mark the channel as closed. But in practice if you're
not syncing _every_ channel update every transmitted, then you'll end up
actually missing them.

> It also allows "leasing" of UTXOs: you could pay someone to sign their
> UTXO for your node_announcement, with some level of trust.

I'm not sure this is entirely a *good* thing, as the graph becomes more
decoupled with the _actual_ on-chain relationships...

-- Laolu

[1]:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/2022-March/003526.html
[2]: https://github.com/lightning/bolts/pull/814