[Lightning-dev] HTLC Endorsement for Jamming Mitigation

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:57:34 UTC 2023

Hi Antoine,

this is an intrinsic issue with reputation systems, and the main
reason I'm sceptical w.r.t. their usefulness in lightning.
Fundamentally any reputation system bases their expectations for the
future on experiences they made in the past, and they are thus always
susceptible to sudden behavioral changes (going rogue from a prior
clean record) and whitewashing attacks (switching identity, abusing
any builtin bootstrapping method for new users to gain a good or
neutral reputation before turning rogue repeatedly).

This gets compounded as soon as we start gossiping about reputations,
since now our decisions are no longer based just on information we can
witness ourselves, or at least verify its correctness, and as such an
attacker can most likely "earn" a positive reputation in some other
part of the world, and then turn around and attack the nodes that
trusted the reputation shared from those other parts.

I'd be very interested in how many repeat interactions nodes get from
individual senders, since that also tells us how much use we can get
out of local-only reputation based systems, and I wouldn't be
surprised if, for large routing nodes, we have sufficient data for
them to make an informed decision, while the edges may be more
vulnerable, but they'd also be used by way fewer senders, and the
impact of an attack would also be proportionally smaller.

Cheers,
Christian