[Linux-kernel-mentees] Predictive Memory Reclamation

shuah shuah at kernel.org
Fri Apr 12 21:57:27 UTC 2019

Hi Bharath,

On 4/12/19 12:08 AM, Bharath Vedartham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in working on the project of "Predictive Memory
> Reclamation" whose mentor is "Khalid Aziz". I have been really
> into memory management and filesystems recently. I believe this
> project will be of great interest and value to me.

Thank you for your interest.

> My experience:
>
> I have taken a Operating system course in my uni and have a sound
> understanding of the basics of process synchronization, memory
> management and filesystems.
> I also have experience in kernel programming. I have written misc
> character device drivers with debugfs and sysfs support, usb
> hotplugging, system calls and a basic filesystem in the kernel. I also
> have a few checkpatch.pl patches to the kernel.

I see that you submitted patches and I see 3 patches in 5.1-rc4.

> My goal till the application deadline:
>
> I have already submitted checkpatch.pl patches(staging driver tree) and
> got them accepted. I also had to revise some of these patches and have
> experience in revising patches and receiving feedback on my patches. I
> hope I can skip this part(codestyle patches) as part of the required contributions. I want to focus on sparse patches, reporting regressions in the stable release and analyzing syzbot crashes.

Checkpatch coding style patches are for learning patch process.
You accomplished that. Yes continue with sparse patches, reporting
regressions in the stable release and analyzing syzbot crashes.

> I would like to know when I can start communicating the mentor for the
> project to begin contributions to the specific project.

I will send email connecting you to your mentor early next week.
Happy patching in the meantime.

thanks,
-- Shuah