[Linux-kernel-mentees] git: Behaviour of the stable-rc repo

Amol Surati suratiamol at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 09:19:57 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 10:19:26AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 12:28:07PM +0530, Amol Surati wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since yesterday, the stable-rc branch 'linux-5.1.y' has received new
> > commits.
>
> The stable-rc tree is a rebased mess of a git tree, don't use it unless
> you really understand git :)

I don't understand git to that extent :)

> > There were 7 code-change-commits + 1 version-change-commit, which were
> > based on the released 5.1.16. Now, when the branch has been refreshed
> > (twice afaics) with new commits, those 8 previous commits have been assigned
> > new identities (still based on 5.1.16).
> >
> > It seems that there are 3 copies of those 8 commits.
> > For e.g., the version-change-commit has these IDs -
> >
> > 57f5b343cdf9593b22d79f5261f30243c07d6515,
> > 925bedf91c6bb194cb6b23a553cb8469f3a2007f, and
> > 2b5fd394355ac0b2cc9572232727cb2bce7c15a7
> >
> > with 2b5... being the most recent ID (and the HEAD iinm).
> >
> > Could you help me understand how these copies are created, and why?
> >
> > Also, why do we want to commit the version update, if more commits are
> > expected to arrive on top of it?
>
> The stable kernel tree patches are kept as a series of patches that will
> be applied on top of the previous version, using a tool called quilt.
> That set of quilt patches can be found in the stable-queue.git tree on
> git.kernel.org.

Okay.

> From that quilt tree of patches, I generate the stable-rc tree every so
> often so that people who only use git, have an easier way to test
> things.  The tree is constantly rebased and rebuilt every time I do a
> new push to it and a number of autobuilders and testing systems watch it
> and send me automated reports when it changes.

Okay. Some of them would be those on kernelci.org, who use 'git describe'
to identify the point-in-time when reporting their results.

> So I recommend ONLY using it if you just always rebase, and treat it
> like a "point in time" type of tree.
>
> When I do a "real" -rc release, I do an announcement to the stable
> mailing list and lkml and push out a compressed patch that you can apply
> to the last released kernel, or you can pull from the stable-rc tree
> (again rebasing) if that is easier for you to test from.

Okay. Understood. The stable-rc tree that I tested yesterday was a
shallow (depth 1) clone. I am assuming that rebasing would't work on
it, owing to lack of necessary information.

LKMP describes both methods (stable-rc, and the compressed patch), but
they need us to /wait/ for your email before attempting a test. The
presence of '5.1.17-rc1' commit threw me off the track :) - I see now
that it is not an actual -rc1 release.

> Does this help?  The stable-rc tree there is present only for those who
> don't like dealing with quilt, and I never use it myself, I only
> generate it for others who can use it for early testing.

Yes it does. Thank you for the details.

-amol