[Linux-kernel-mentees] git: Behaviour of the stable-rc repo

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Jul 6 09:41:26 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 02:49:57PM +0530, Amol Surati wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 10:19:26AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 12:28:07PM +0530, Amol Surati wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Since yesterday, the stable-rc branch 'linux-5.1.y' has received new
> > > commits.
> >
> > The stable-rc tree is a rebased mess of a git tree, don't use it unless
> > you really understand git :)
>
> I don't understand git to that extent :)

Hey, you can now learn :)

> > > There were 7 code-change-commits + 1 version-change-commit, which were
> > > based on the released 5.1.16. Now, when the branch has been refreshed
> > > (twice afaics) with new commits, those 8 previous commits have been assigned
> > > new identities (still based on 5.1.16).
> > >
> > > It seems that there are 3 copies of those 8 commits.
> > > For e.g., the version-change-commit has these IDs -
> > >
> > > 57f5b343cdf9593b22d79f5261f30243c07d6515,
> > > 925bedf91c6bb194cb6b23a553cb8469f3a2007f, and
> > > 2b5fd394355ac0b2cc9572232727cb2bce7c15a7
> > >
> > > with 2b5... being the most recent ID (and the HEAD iinm).
> > >
> > > Could you help me understand how these copies are created, and why?
> > >
> > > Also, why do we want to commit the version update, if more commits are
> > > expected to arrive on top of it?
> >
> > The stable kernel tree patches are kept as a series of patches that will
> > be applied on top of the previous version, using a tool called quilt.
> > That set of quilt patches can be found in the stable-queue.git tree on
> > git.kernel.org.
>
> Okay.
>

> > From that quilt tree of patches, I generate the stable-rc tree every so
> > often so that people who only use git, have an easier way to test
> > things.  The tree is constantly rebased and rebuilt every time I do a
> > new push to it and a number of autobuilders and testing systems watch it
> > and send me automated reports when it changes.
>
> Okay. Some of them would be those on kernelci.org, who use 'git describe'
> to identify the point-in-time when reporting their results.

Yes, kernelci uses this as does others.

> > So I recommend ONLY using it if you just always rebase, and treat it
> > like a "point in time" type of tree.
> >
> > When I do a "real" -rc release, I do an announcement to the stable
> > mailing list and lkml and push out a compressed patch that you can apply
> > to the last released kernel, or you can pull from the stable-rc tree
> > (again rebasing) if that is easier for you to test from.
>
> Okay. Understood. The stable-rc tree that I tested yesterday was a
> shallow (depth 1) clone. I am assuming that rebasing would't work on
> it, owing to lack of necessary information.

A shallow clone of a kernel tree isn't good, you can't do much with that
for a "real" git tree.

I recommend cloning Linus's tree once, and then add the linux-stable
tree as a remote and pulling from that, and then taking that local tree
and just using it as a base to create other local trees from for
anything else.

That way you have one "real" copy of upstream, which you took the time
to suck down once, and then any additions you make on top of that is
always much simpler and faster.  If you use the '-s' option to git when
cloning the trees, you will not take up additional disk space for the
.git objects.

As an example, here's how I do my work.  It's a bit more complex than
what you probably want to do, but you can get the idea here.

I have one "root" git tree, that is a "bare" repo:
	linux/work/torvalds/
that I cloned from git.kernel.org with the --bare option.
I run 'git fetch origin' on it every once in a while to keep it up to
date.

I have a "local" tree that I do my work in and run my machine's kernel
off of, it was created by doing:
	cd linux
	git clone -s linux/work/torvalds/ gregkh
and in linux/gregkh/ I have local branches and other stuff that I use
for upstream development and messing around with.  When I want to update
it to the latest tree from Linus's tree, I just do a 'git pull' in my
linux/gregkh/ directory and all is good.

For stable kernel work, I have a "real" tree that was based off of the
torvalds tree, but added the upstream stable repo from.  It was created
by doing:
	cd linux
	mkdir stable
	git clone -s linux/work/torvalds/ stable/linux-stable
	cd stable/linux-stable
	git remote add stable [FULL linux-stable.git URL HERE]
	git fetch --all

Then, for individual specific release branches of the linux-stable tree,
I create local copies of that tree.  For example, to create the
linux-4.19.y tree, I would do:
	cd linux/stable
	git clone -s linux-stable linux-4.19.y
	cd linux-4.19.y
	git checkout -t -b linux-4.19.y origin/linux-4.19.y

There, I have 3 different "full" source trees on my system now, but the
majority of the git objects all live in linux/work/torvalds/ and after
that, I only have to update tiny amounts.

> LKMP describes both methods (stable-rc, and the compressed patch), but
> they need us to /wait/ for your email before attempting a test.

What is "LKMP"?

And yes, you can wait for my email to do "real" testing, as that is when
I am asking others to test.  If you want to do testing before then,
that's wonderful, but you have to be able to handle the git tree
rebasing.

You can do this, by always doing a 'git pull --rebase' on the
linux-stable-rc tree, but if you do that, you will loose any changes you
might have had there, so don't do this on a tree you actually create
patches on.

> The presence of '5.1.17-rc1' commit threw me off the track :) - I see
> now that it is not an actual -rc1 release.

Yes, my scripts just automatically add that to make it obvious that the
testing kernel is not the previous release.

hope this helps,

greg k-h