[Linux-kernel-mentees] Patch guidelines and tips
skhan at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jun 27 00:38:31 UTC 2019
Thanks for your active participation in working towards the
required contributions. A few tips and guidelines to make
this experience productive for us all.
- Before you start working on a task, please check the archive
first to see if a patch is already in progress. This avoids
- For documentation tasks, start small with picking one file for
conversion first. You don't have to work on all the files in a
directory in one step. Working on a single file helps you get
over the learning curve and then you can take on larger set of
files as needed.
If in doubt, send email to maintainers - starting with me if you
These steps are all documented on the project page. Don't forget to
do the following when you send patches:
- Please copy mailing lists and maintainers/developers suggested by
- Please run scripts/checkpatch.pl before sending the patch.
- Compile and test - Documentation compile steps have been documented.
More information about the Linux-kernel-mentees