[Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:27:39 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020, Jay Rajput wrote:

>       The next task is to run coccinelle on the kernel sources. You will find documentation on how to set up
>       and run coccinelle in the kernel documentation.
>
> I suggest you run coccinelle on the latest kernel source, v5.9-rc1.
>
> Lukas
>
> Hello,
>
> I ran the coccinelle, I am attaching the output in a google document. Please have a look and let me know the
> further steps:
> Document link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahWouti1FTenrIL92Ra6JXYlWW-9j4KK8qVdh4VvEr0/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Jay Rajput

Okay, all good. The task in this mentorship is to make CodeChecker import
the results from coccinelle into the UI.

Look at:
https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker/tree/master/tools/report-converter

If you can write a first simple report-converter for coccinelle and your
prototype shows that you understand what needs to be done, we can devise a
plan to make a full-fledged proper implementation with documentation,
tests etc. If the plan is solid, I am happy to mentor you through these
tasks.
If your implementation works, the rough workflow should be:

make coccicheck > coccicheck_output
report-converter -o coccicheck_report -t coccinelle coccicheck_output
CodeChecker server &
CodeChecker store ./coccicheck_report -n linux

Then, we should see the coccinelle findings nicely presented in the UI.

Of course, it might be possible to modify coccinelle, provide parameters
to the build target to simplify the parser to be implemented in
CodeChecker.

If that is not clear, we go back one step in the introduction process of
the task.

Best regards,

Lukas