[Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 18:04:54 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:53 PM Jay Rajput <jay24rajput at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Okay, all good. The task in this mentorship is to make CodeChecker import
>> the results from coccinelle into the UI.
>>
>> Look at:
>> https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker/tree/master/tools/report-converter
>>
>> If you can write a first simple report-converter for coccinelle and your
>> prototype shows that you understand what needs to be done, we can devise a
>> plan to make a full-fledged proper implementation with documentation,
>> tests etc. If the plan is solid, I am happy to mentor you through these
>> tasks.
>> If your implementation works, the rough workflow should be:
>>
>> make coccicheck > coccicheck_output
>> report-converter -o coccicheck_report -t coccinelle coccicheck_output
>> CodeChecker server &
>> CodeChecker store ./coccicheck_report -n linux
>>
>> Then, we should see the coccinelle findings nicely presented in the UI.
>>
>> Of course, it might be possible to modify coccinelle, provide parameters
>> to the build target to simplify the parser to be implemented in
>> CodeChecker.
>>
>> If that is not clear, we go back one step in the introduction process of
>> the task.
>

> Hello Lukas,
>
> I have looked into the code for report checker and I have devised the workflow and plan for extracting the errors in the document below:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hbo4REffUS6IN2KzAKB-zAIlvUGO43Rx4adzVnG6HwM/edit?usp=sharing
>
> For the prototype, I would make a basic parser that could extract the error files from the coccinelle output and display it, is that correct? If there is something more please let me know

Show that you can program that parser properly in CodeChecker and
share your branch on github to test it.

I am quite sure you did not look at the code yet; your proposal is
just abstract. If you would have looked at the code, you would know
much more specific which data structure is required for CodeChecker to
store it properly in the database.