[Linux-kernel-mentees] POC script to apply patches into a test-branch and run clang-format

Aditya yashsri421 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:25:20 UTC 2020

On 22/12/20 1:17 am, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
>> Okay, I downloaded and tried it:
>>
>> perl ./scripts/applypatch.pl --clang-format test.patch
>> --branch=test-clang-format-bfq-cgroup
>>
>> but it failed:
>>
>> git checkout test-clang-format-bfq-cgroup
>> Already on 'test-clang-format-bfq-cgroup'
>> git am $patchtest.patch
>> fatal: could not open '.patch' for reading: No such file or directory
>> Clang formatted patchfile generated at:
>> test.patch.EXPERIMENTAL-clang_format-fixes
>> git checkout test-clang-format-bfq-cgroup
>> Already on 'test-clang-format-bfq-cgroup'
>>
>> How about setting up a minimal travis.ci check that runs this command
>> on a small git repository with one file and one patch on top for
>> testing purposes?
>>
>> The script does not have error handling yet, so the next steps are
>> just executed blindly even if the one before failed and is really
>> required for the next one to do the right thing.
>>
>> I generally like the script, let us work a bit on tuning it for proper
>> error handling, add some basic tests and then discuss it with Miguel.
>>
>> Lukas
>>

> Hello Lukas,
> Sorry for being late on this update. I have my college exams going on
> right now, so that caused a bit of delay.
>
> Nevertheless I have applied some changes along with some error handling fixes.
> The script is available here:
> https://github.com/raydwaipayan/apply-patch
>
> The script has the following options now:
> usage: $P [options] patchfile(s)
> --branch=<branch-name> => test branch name
> --format => Use clang format
> --clang-format-diff=<s> => clang-format-diff path
> --help => show this help information
> --root=<root_dir> => root dir location
>
> By default script searches for "clang-format-diff.py" in path. If it goes
> by any other name that should be supplied using
> --clang-format-diff="FULL_PATH_OF_EXECUTABLE"
>
> I ran the script like this:
> $ ./scripts/applypatch.pl
> 0001-scripts-mod-cleanup-a-few-checkpatch.pl-warnings.patch --format
>
> Expected output:
> git checkout -b test-master
> Switched to a new branch 'test-master'
> git am 0001-scripts-mod-cleanup-a-few-checkpatch.pl-warnings.patch
> Patch applied successfully:
> 0001-scripts-mod-cleanup-a-few-checkpatch.pl-warnings.patch
> Running clang-format
> Diff written to clang-format-fixes.diff
> git checkout master
> Switched to branch 'master
>
> Lukas, could you check if this script works on your system as expected?
>
> Also Aditya, I think the latest clang-format-diff goes by the name
> 'clang-format-diff-8' on debian based systems. While in my arch based one
> it goes by 'clang-format-diff.py'. Can you verify whether the script works
> directly or is the executable path flag needed?

For debian based system, the user will have to add
--clang-format-diff="/usr/bin/clang-format-diff-8".

A few more improvements can be made. For eg., the script should exit
if the patch isn't applying. Currently, it continues a step further
and stops after giving error: "Error: This script requires
clang-format-diff to be installed.".
Also, this puts the git status in mid of git am, which needs to be reset.

Maybe we can improve the error message by displaying them about
"--clang-format-diff" option and giving install options in the error
message. This should make the script easier to be used.

One more improvement I guess we can make with the .diff file, by
renaming .diff after patchfile name. This way it won't be overwritten
each time and also be in consistency with checkpatch.pl --fix.

I'll try to make these improvements and send a PR or a patch to you,
where we can discuss any changes.

Thanks
Aditya