[Linux-kernel-mentees] [RFC 0/3] kunit: add support to use modules

David Gow davidgow at google.com
Wed Jul 15 03:47:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM Vitor Massaru Iha <vitor at massaru.org> wrote:

> Currently, KUnit does not allow the use of tests as a module.
> This prevents the implementation of tests that require userspace.

If this is what I think it is, thanks! I'll hopefully get a chance to
play with it over the next few days.

Can we clarify what this means: the current description is a little
misleading, as KUnit tests can already be built and run as modules,
and "tests that require userspace" is a bit broad.

As I understand it, this patchset does three things:
- Let kunit_tool install modules to a root filesystem and boot UML
with that filesystem.
- Have tests inherit the mm of the process that started them, which
(if the test is in a module), provides a user-space memory context so
that copy_{from,to}_user() works.
- Port the test_user_copy.c tests to KUnit, using this new feature.

A few comments from my quick glance over it:
- The rootfs support is useful: I'm curious how it'll interact with
non-UML architectures in [1]. It'd be nice for this to be extensible
and to not explicitly state UML where possible.
- The inheriting of the mm stuff still means that
copy_{from,to}_user() will only work if loaded as a module. This
really needs to be documented. (Ideally, we'd find a way of having
this work even for built-in tests, but I don't have any real ideas as
to how that could be done).
- It'd be nice to split the test_user_copy.c test port into a separate
commit. In fact, it may make sense to also split the kunit_tool
changes and the mm changes into separate series, as they're both quite
useful independently.

Cheers,
-- David