[Linux-kernel-mentees] Fix for BAD_SIGN_OFF: non-standard signature

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 20:04:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Aditya <yashsri421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sir
> I have analyzed the checkpatch report for BAD_SIGN_OFF(over
> v4.13..v5.8) for non-standard signature and generated reports for it.
> Some mistakes are more frequent than others, whereas some mistakes
> even have a frequency of 1.
>
> Non-standard signatures occurring with their frequency:
> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/non_standard_signs.txt
>
> Complete warning messages:
> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/warn_msgs.txt
>
> Should I implement the fix similar to TYPO_FIX, where we have a
> separate file for common misspellings and corrected words? Or should I
> make a hash of these misspellings in checkpatch.pl file as well?
>
> Also should I include all these misspelled words in it? Or omit words
> below certain frequency?

I think the best way would be to compute some kind of edit distance to
the known signature tags and if this edit distance is below a certain
threshold, suggest that signature tag as the fix. We can then evaluate
to determine the best suitable threshold. The edit distance between
the different tags are so large that this should always work as
intended.

Then, we can look into these other creative tags and propose suitable
existing tags for the more frequent ones that are non-standard. Or in
the case, none of the existing ones fit we can start the discussion on
proposing some new standard ones.

Lukas