[Linux-kernel-mentees] Fix for BAD_SIGN_OFF: non-standard signature

Aditya yashsri421 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:35:54 UTC 2020

On 12/11/20 1:34 am, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Aditya <yashsri421 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sir
>> I have analyzed the checkpatch report for BAD_SIGN_OFF(over
>> v4.13..v5.8) for non-standard signature and generated reports for it.
>> Some mistakes are more frequent than others, whereas some mistakes
>> even have a frequency of 1.
>>
>> Non-standard signatures occurring with their frequency:
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/non_standard_signs.txt
>>
>> Complete warning messages:
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/warn_msgs.txt
>>
>> Should I implement the fix similar to TYPO_FIX, where we have a
>> separate file for common misspellings and corrected words? Or should I
>> make a hash of these misspellings in checkpatch.pl file as well?
>>
>> Also should I include all these misspelled words in it? Or omit words
>> below certain frequency?
>>

> I think the best way would be to compute some kind of edit distance to
> the known signature tags and if this edit distance is below a certain
> threshold, suggest that signature tag as the fix. We can then evaluate
> to determine the best suitable threshold. The edit distance between
> the different tags are so large that this should always work as
> intended.
>
> Then, we can look into these other creative tags and propose suitable
> existing tags for the more frequent ones that are non-standard. Or in
> the case, none of the existing ones fit we can start the discussion on
> proposing some new standard ones.

I have generated a list of non-standard signatures and their fixes on
the basis of edit distance.

This is the common list of non standard signatures and fixes (in
detail):
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/min_dists.txt

As I observed, I think, we can consider '<=2' as the threshold edit
distance.
List for non-standard signature and their proposed fix with edit
distance<=2 :
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/less_than_3.txt

I have also generated lists for 3 and 4 edit distance separately for
reference:
Equal to 3:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/equal_3.txt

Equal to 4:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/equal_4.txt

For the rest I guess we'll need to hard code eg. for 'Debugged-by',
'Requested-by' etc.

These are the complete lists of non-standard signatures:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/non_standard_signature/non_standard_signs.txt

What do you think?

Thanks
Aditya