[Linux-kernel-mentees] Possible new warning for checkpatch

Dwaipayan Ray dwaipayanray1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:58:23 UTC 2020

Hi Lukas,
I was having a talk with Peilin and a possible new idea came up.
It's about lines in the commit message that start with a '#'.

Normally if a patch contains lines starting with '#' in the commit
message, when they are applied they successfully appear in the
git log. But if a maintainer for some reason decides to rebase and
reword the commit message for whatever reason, the # lines are gone.

Peilin had a look at it and he was able to successfully reproduce this
fault.

Now would it make sense if a warning for such lines starting with '#' in
the commit message are emitted by checkpatch itself? I have no idea
what other developers do, so I could be wrong at this point. But I would
like your opinion.

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.