[Linux-kernel-mentees] Checkpatch.pl tasks for Community Bridge Program

Aditya yashsri421 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 07:10:18 UTC 2020

On 13/10/20 2:41 am, Aditya Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon 12 Oct, 2020, 11:58 PM Lukas Bulwahn, <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Dwaipayan Ray <dwaipayanray1 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on
>> certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as
>> follows:
>> the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on
>> these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
>> on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by
>> Dwaipayan Ray (
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/),
>> to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the
>> kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2

>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

>>> Ya, this shouldn't happen.
>>>
>>> I checked the reports, and the new warnings appear as expected.
>>>
>>> Could Aditya perhaps find out which errors in this case have changed?
>>>
>> Dwaipayan, you can ask Aditya directly :)
>>
>> Aditya, can you help us and tell us which AVOID_BUG remained the same,
>> which appeared, and which disappeared?
>>
>> And the same for TYPO_SPELLING.
>>
>> Lukas

Hi Sir,

I checked the warnings for AVOID_BUG and TYPO_SPELLING and I can confirm that they are occurring equally in both the cases(before and after the commit). The missed warning was just not in the expected format, in the report file.

For Eg. AVOID_BUG occurred as "cWARNING:AVOID_BUG: Avoid crash", but I was expecting the line to start with "WARNING:" or "ERROR:". This is why, this warning was not counted. Similar is the case for TYPO_SPELLING.

This probably happened because of multi-threading. To counter such occurrences, I have regenerated the summary report using regex. The summary can be found at the same url ie: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

Kindly let me know if you have any questions.

Aditya