[Linux-kernel-mentees] Any other ways to debug GPIO interrupt controller (pinctrl-amd) for broken touchpads of a new laptop model?

Coiby Xu coiby.xu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 04:06:29 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 01:46:14PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>Hi,

[...]
>I've never seen this kinda glitch/debounce filter where
>you can filter out only one type of level before, so
>I wonder if the code maybe simply got it wrong, also for
>a level type irq I really see no objection to just
>use DB_TYPE_REMOVE_GLITCH instead of the weird "half"
>filters.
>
>So I just ran a git blame and the DB_TYPE_PRESERVE_HIGH_GLITCH
>has been there from the very first commit of this driver,
>I wonder if it has been wrong all this time and should be
>inverted (so DB_TYPE_PRESERVE_LOW_GLITCH instead).
>
>I think we may want to just play it safe though and simply
>switch to DB_TYPE_REMOVE_GLITCH as we already do for all
>edge types and when amd_gpio_set_config() gets called!
>
>Linus, what do you think about just switching to
>DB_TYPE_REMOVE_GLITCH for level type irqs (unifying them
>with all the other modes) and not mucking with this weird,
>undocumented "half" filter modes ?
>
>>Or can you point to some references? I've gain some
>>experience about how to configure the GPIO controller by studying the
>>code of pinctrl-amd and pinctrl-baytrail (I can't find the hardware
>>reference manual for baytrail either). I also tweaked the configuration
>>in pinctrl-amd, for example, setting the debounce timeout to 976 usec
>>and 3.9 msec without disabling the glitch filter could also save the
>>touchpad. But I need some knowledge to understand why this touchpad [1]
>>which also uses the buggy pinctrl-amd isn't affected.
>>
>>[1] https://github.com/Syniurge/i2c-amd-mp2/issues/11#issuecomment-707427095
>
>My guess would be that it uses edge types interrupts instead ?
>I have seen that quite a few times, even though it is weird
>to do that for i2c devices.

Actually it uses the level type interrupt according to the shared
DSDT.dsl,

         Device (TPDA)
         {
             Name (_HID, "SYNA2B3F")  // _HID: Hardware ID
             Name (_CID, "PNP0C50" /* HID Protocol Device (I2C bus) */)  // _CID: Compatible ID
             Name (_UID, 0x08)  // _UID: Unique ID
             Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings
             {
                 Name (RBUF, ResourceTemplate ()
                 {
                     I2cSerialBusV2 (0x002C, ControllerInitiated, 0x00061A80,
                         AddressingMode7Bit, "\\_SB.I2CD",
                         0x00, ResourceConsumer, , Exclusive,
                         )
                     GpioInt (Level, ActiveLow, ExclusiveAndWake, PullUp, 0x0000,
                         "\\_SB.GPIO", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
                         )
                         {   // Pin list
                             0x0003
                         }
                 })
                 Return (RBUF) /* \_SB_.I2CD.TPDA._CRS.RBUF */
             }

--
Best regards,
Coiby