[Linux-kernel-mentees] Regarding "Linux Kernel: Evaluate and Improve checkpatch.pl"

Ayush ayush at disroot.org
Mon Sep 7 14:27:50 UTC 2020

September 7, 2020 1:09 PM, "Lukas Bulwahn" <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you should extend this whole check to work properly with line
> breaks. You can see how this is implemented currently in checkpatch.pl
> just a few lines above, right?

I have written the conditions for handling line breaks.

I will be sending the patch to the mailing list after this mail.

> Can you provide a full list of checkpatch.pl findings in v5.4..v5.8
> where all the different commit 1234567890ab ("Revert "..."") variants
> in the commit message appear?
>
> Then, we can use those commits directly as test cases for your extension?

Actually, I have made a list for some of the similar commits which are correct but
checkpatch.pl will give GIT_COMMIT_ID error on them. I have tested my patch with 30+ commits.

Here is the list of commits:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/eldraco19/f78e637ead0e47e1bb187f83a391a904/raw/1ee853ab1b7db86d663f6537b7c43e284e30dad2/commits.txt

Some doubts I still have:
- commit
1234567890ab ("Revert "foo bar"")

is not allowed as per the rules, right?

- if the commit mentioned has double-quotes like:
commit 1234567890ab ("Revert "foo "lorem ipsum" bar"")

example: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.8.y&id=9d7c249a1ef9bf0d5696df14e6bc067004f16979

For now, checkpatch.pl is giving an error in such cases too. But there can be `n` cases like these, we
can have so many quotes nested, so I think it's better to avoid this pattern, please give your opinions on this.

Thanks,
Ayush