[Linux-kernel-mentees] Evaluate and Improve checkpatch: general doubts about project

Ujjwal Kumar ujjwalkumar0501 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 03:46:51 UTC 2020

Hello Lukas,

I'm Ujjwal Kumar, and this is my first mail to the community :).

Recently I came across the following project on Community Bridge:
"Linux Kernel: Evaluate and Improve checkpatch.pl"

I'm interested in the project (as I think of it as a head-start for me
with Linux kernel development).

While I was going through prerequisites and mailing list archives, some
doubts came to my mind. These are:

1. The prerequisite says: "Show that you are able to modify
checkpatch.pl and get a change accepted in the community". Because I'm a
bit late I am wondering if it is even possible to get a patch accepted
and hence to complete the prerequisite. As you are not familiar with my
abilities and knowledge, please consider answering this based on your
experience.

2. I already see some people working around the project, so I have this
specific doubt. Does the nature of this particular project allow
selection and hence the contribution of more than one mentee?

Answer to these questions would help me decide whether I should continue
my focus on this project or look at some other issues in the kernel. I
believe this way it will benefit me as well as the community too.

Thank You,
Ujjwal Kumar