[Linux-kernel-mentees] Evaluate and Improve checkpatch: general doubts about project

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 06:45:46 UTC 2020

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, Ujjwal Kumar wrote:

> Hello Lukas,
>
> I'm Ujjwal Kumar, and this is my first mail to the community :).
>
> Recently I came across the following project on Community Bridge:
> "Linux Kernel: Evaluate and Improve checkpatch.pl"
>
> I'm interested in the project (as I think of it as a head-start for me with
> Linux kernel development).
>
> While I was going through prerequisites and mailing list archives, some doubts
> came to my mind. These are:
>
> 1. The prerequisite says: "Show that you are able to modify checkpatch.pl and
> get a change accepted in the community". Because I'm a bit late I am wondering
> if it is even possible to get a patch accepted and hence to complete the
> prerequisite. As you are not familiar with my abilities and knowledge, please
> consider answering this based on your experience.

You will need to be experienced with perl, basic English writing skills,
and need to show some basic scientific thinking, i.e., understand how to
evaluate a change on a larger dataset to estimate pros and cons.

> 2. I already see some people working around the project, so I have this
> specific doubt. Does the nature of this particular project allow selection and
> hence the contribution of more than one mentee?

The project provides different areas of focus and there is enough work and
investigation to look into. Multiple mentees can be mentored on this
project.
The selection is based on the most promising learning curve and the
mentee's ability to structure and show that they can identify an issue and
find reasonable solutions through the discussion with the mentor and the
community.

The first task is to set up a working environment that allows contribution
of changes to the kernel community and the follow-up discussion.

Lukas