[Linux-kernel-mentees] Regarding "Linux Kernel: Evaluate and Improve checkpatch.pl"

Ayush ayush at disroot.org
Wed Sep 9 09:14:07 UTC 2020

> No, that is allowed. There can be of course a line break after commit
> and before the hash, it is just that the current checkpatch.pl script
> does not handle this case yet.
>
> That would need improvement.

I have already sent a patch for handling quotes in commit messages.
(https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/linux-kernel-mentees/2020-September/004026.html)

I have created another patch which fixes line breaks after commit and
before hash.

It can handles cases like:

- commit
1234567890ab ("foo bar")

- commit
1234567890ab ("Revert "foo bar"")

But, my question is, should I send this as a new patch or append it with
my last patch and make a patch v2?
My last patch is still under review.

> I do not think that it is disallowed, but maybe a new check in
> checkpatch.pl is recommended to make aware that quotes in commit
> message subject lines cannot be properly handled and are discouraged.

So, should we give a warning if (no. of quotes > 4)?

Regards,
Ayush