[Linux-kernel-mentees] Regarding "Linux Kernel: Evaluate and Improve checkpatch.pl"

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:04:04 UTC 2020

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, Ayush wrote:

> September 9, 2020 3:22 PM, "Lukas Bulwahn" <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Create a separate patch that can be applied independently. As a mentor, I
> > suggest to first send the patch only to me and the linux-kernel-mentees
> > list, so that you get some first feedback without bothering the
> > maintainers and them losing patience to work with you.
>

> I created a patch which handles line break between commit and hash value,
>
> It can be found here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/eldraco19/1631a75f859a07541d3c7c73c4958ca1
>
> Please review it and suggest any improvements.

Ayush, that is NOT how the review process in the kernel community works.

The process is You send a patch to a mailing list for review, reviewers
review and send back emails with comments. Then, you rework and send out a
new patch and it repeats. That is the process.

For mentees, we have the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list, so that you
can send patches to reviewers that are willing to provide dedicated
feedback to mentees.