[Linux-kernel-mentees] Linux kernel checkpatch.pl mentorship

Dwaipayan Ray dwaipayanray1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 12:08:25 UTC 2020

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20200912094826.150170-1-ayush@disroot.org/

> The author states:
>
> This issue was discovered through a thorough analysis of checkpatch.pl
> errors and warnings of type GIT_COMMIT_ID on commits between v5.7 and
> v5.8.
>
> Before applying this patch, checkpatch.pl reported 342 errors of type
> GIT_COMMIT_ID. After applying patch, errors reduced to 284.
>

> If your scripts work, you should be able to confirm the statement.
>
> The tasks are:
>
> 1. Run your scripts and create a full statistics of all error types with
> their according count for v5.7..v5.8.
>
> 2. Apply the patch with git am.
>
> 3. Run your scripts again and create a new statistics.
>
> 4. Compare before and after
>
> 5. Make all results available on your github repository.

Hi,
I think I got my email client working now.

The last time checkpatch.pl took awfully long to run on so many commits. :(
So, it might take a while but I will report my findings on this as soon
it is done processing.

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.