[Linux-kernel-mentees] Evaluate and Improve checkpatch: tasks

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 12:32:45 UTC 2020

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020, Ujjwal Kumar wrote:

> On 12/09/20 5:14 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 12 Sep 2020, Ujjwal Kumar wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Lukas,
> >>
> >> I attempted the tasks.
> >>
> >> Below is the link of GitHub repository containing my write-up and findings.
> >> https://github.com/Ujjwal0501/lkmp-checkpatch
> >>

> > Thanks, it shows 404. Good luck next time.
>
> I'm really sorry for the noise. The link is active now.

Okay, scripts and data looks sound. So, let us try those scripts.

Please have a look at this patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20200912094826.150170-1-ayush@disroot.org/

The author states:

This issue was discovered through a thorough analysis of checkpatch.pl
errors and warnings of type GIT_COMMIT_ID on commits between v5.7 and
v5.8.

Before applying this patch, checkpatch.pl reported 342 errors of type
GIT_COMMIT_ID. After applying patch, errors reduced to 284.

If your scripts work, you should be able to confirm the statement.

The tasks are:

1. Run your scripts and create a full statistics of all error types with
their according count for v5.7..v5.8.

2. Apply the patch with git am.

3. Run your scripts again and create a new statistics.

4. Compare before and after

5. Make all results available on your github repository.

---

Ujjwal, I can see that your evaluation shows

272 ERROR:GIT_COMMIT_ID

different from what the author reports. Maybe you apply the patch and
check the difference for your evaluation first.

Afterwards, you might want to reach out to the author, cc this mailing
list and check the difference of the configurations for the evaluation.

Then you can confirm the other evaluation as well.