[Linux-kernel-mentees] Evaluate and Improve checkpatch: tasks

Ujjwal Kumar ujjwalkumar0501 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 09:35:52 UTC 2020

On 12/09/20 6:02 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2020, Ujjwal Kumar wrote:

>>> Thanks, it shows 404. Good luck next time.
>>
>> I'm really sorry for the noise. The link is active now.
>
> Okay, scripts and data looks sound. So, let us try those scripts.
>
> Please have a look at this patch:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20200912094826.150170-1-ayush@disroot.org/
>
> The author states:
>
> This issue was discovered through a thorough analysis of checkpatch.pl
> errors and warnings of type GIT_COMMIT_ID on commits between v5.7 and
> v5.8.
>
> Before applying this patch, checkpatch.pl reported 342 errors of type
> GIT_COMMIT_ID. After applying patch, errors reduced to 284.
>

> If your scripts work, you should be able to confirm the statement.

I'm unable to reproduce the same count as above because the script is run
on different sets of commits.

> The tasks are:
>
> 1. Run your scripts and create a full statistics of all error types with
> their according count for v5.7..v5.8.
>
> 2. Apply the patch with git am.
>
> 3. Run your scripts again and create a new statistics.
>
> 4. Compare before and after
>
> 5. Make all results available on your github repository.

The results are available at the link
https://github.com/Ujjwal0501/lkmp-checkpatch/blob/master/tasks.md

Kindly take a look at it.

> ---
>
> Ujjwal, I can see that your evaluation shows
>
> 272 ERROR:GIT_COMMIT_ID
>
> different from what the author reports. Maybe you apply the patch and
> check the difference for your evaluation first.
>
> Afterwards, you might want to reach out to the author, cc this mailing
> list and check the difference of the configurations for the evaluation.

I haven't contacted the author yet. But I have included an explanation
for this in my GitHub repository.

> Then you can confirm the other evaluation as well.
>
> Lukas

Ujjwal Kumar