[Linux-kernel-mentees] Evaluate and Improve checkpatch: tasks

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 11:15:44 UTC 2020

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020, Ujjwal Kumar wrote:

> On 12/09/20 6:02 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:

> >> I'm really sorry for the noise. The link is active now.
> >
> > Okay, scripts and data looks sound. So, let us try those scripts.
> >
> > Please have a look at this patch:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20200912094826.150170-1-ayush@disroot.org/
> >
> > The author states:
> >
> > This issue was discovered through a thorough analysis of checkpatch.pl
> > errors and warnings of type GIT_COMMIT_ID on commits between v5.7 and
> > v5.8.
> >
> > Before applying this patch, checkpatch.pl reported 342 errors of type
> > GIT_COMMIT_ID. After applying patch, errors reduced to 284.
> >

> > If your scripts work, you should be able to confirm the statement.
> >

> I'm unable to reproduce the same count as above because the script is run
> on different sets of commits.

So, you say the evaluation from Ayush was not really a good evaluation of
v5.7..v.5.8 due to some misconception of Ayush how to obtain the set of
proper commits from v5.7..v5.8?

> > The tasks are:
> >
> > 1. Run your scripts and create a full statistics of all error types with
> > their according count for v5.7..v5.8.
> >
> > 2. Apply the patch with git am.
> >
> > 3. Run your scripts again and create a new statistics.
> >
> > 4. Compare before and after
> >
> > 5. Make all results available on your github repository.
> >

> The results are available at the link
> https://github.com/Ujjwal0501/lkmp-checkpatch/blob/master/tasks.md
>
> Kindly take a look at it.

Can you share the errors that have changed after the patch was applied?

- Which cases of GIT_COMMIT_ID have disappeared?
- Which cases of GIT_COMMIT_ID are new?
- Which cases of GIT_COMMIT_ID have changed?
- Have cases of other type of errors/warnings/checks/notes disappeared,
been added or changed?

You state GIT_COMMIT_ID changed from 272 to 230, but the tester in

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/CABJPP5BFNjBhdcvBWqDYnR-o2sZ0oY77bYr9PxducXW4Y=482Q@mail.gmail.com/

claimed that it changed from 270 to 251.

Which numbers are right? Why is there a difference in both statistics?

Lukas