[Linux-kernel-mentees] Question regarding marking bugs as "invalid"

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Tue Sep 15 12:42:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:03 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Himadri Pandya <himadrispandya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it correct to mark bugs as "invalid" if they have reproducers but
> > the reproducer doesn't trigger any issue on testing current status? If
> > not, then what should be done about such bugs?
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Himadri
> >

> Himadri,
>
> if possible try to determine which commit fixed the issue the
> reproducer triggered.
>
> You can potentially bisect with the reproducer on the git history or
> you can simply look in the git log of the affected files if someone
> mentioned fixing something related to the trigger.
>
> That helps to make sure we do not just close reproducers that just
> need a lot of time, configuration or luck to hit a certain crash.

Hi Himadri,

Basically what Lukas said.
Bulk closing all of them as "invalid" would be bad for several
reasons. Either do some reasonable amount of degging, or wait for
syzbot fix bisection, maybe it will shed some light. It should happen
after 30 days since last crash IIRC. Also all testing requests/results
are shown on the dashboard, so this bit of information is not lost.