[Linux-kernel-mentees] Question regarding marking bugs as "invalid"

Himadri Pandya himadrispandya at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:22:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:03 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Himadri Pandya <himadrispandya at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it correct to mark bugs as "invalid" if they have reproducers but
> > > the reproducer doesn't trigger any issue on testing current status? If
> > > not, then what should be done about such bugs?
> > >
> > > Thanks & Regards,
> > > Himadri
> > >

> > Himadri,
> >
> > if possible try to determine which commit fixed the issue the
> > reproducer triggered.
> >
> > You can potentially bisect with the reproducer on the git history or
> > you can simply look in the git log of the affected files if someone
> > mentioned fixing something related to the trigger.
> >
> > That helps to make sure we do not just close reproducers that just
> > need a lot of time, configuration or luck to hit a certain crash.
>

> Hi Himadri,
>
> Basically what Lukas said.
> Bulk closing all of them as "invalid" would be bad for several
> reasons. Either do some reasonable amount of degging, or wait for
> syzbot fix bisection, maybe it will shed some light. It should happen
> after 30 days since last crash IIRC. Also all testing requests/results
> are shown on the dashboard, so this bit of information is not lost.

Understood.

I incorrectly assumed(before posting this question) that I should mark
such bugs as invalid and sent the command to syzbot for one such bug.
Now I understand that it was not the right thing. It doesn't show on
the dashboard and I don't know how to undo it :(.

Bug's dashboard link -
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=4c7fd5b46451d957a3d8188f393f1982f9753fe7

Himadri