[Linux-kernel-mentees] Question regarding marking bugs as "invalid"

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Tue Sep 15 13:27:09 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:23 PM Himadri Pandya <himadrispandya at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Himadri,
> > >
> > > if possible try to determine which commit fixed the issue the
> > > reproducer triggered.
> > >
> > > You can potentially bisect with the reproducer on the git history or
> > > you can simply look in the git log of the affected files if someone
> > > mentioned fixing something related to the trigger.
> > >
> > > That helps to make sure we do not just close reproducers that just
> > > need a lot of time, configuration or luck to hit a certain crash.
> >

> > Hi Himadri,
> >
> > Basically what Lukas said.
> > Bulk closing all of them as "invalid" would be bad for several
> > reasons. Either do some reasonable amount of degging, or wait for
> > syzbot fix bisection, maybe it will shed some light. It should happen
> > after 30 days since last crash IIRC. Also all testing requests/results
> > are shown on the dashboard, so this bit of information is not lost.
>
> Understood.
>
> I incorrectly assumed(before posting this question) that I should mark
> such bugs as invalid and sent the command to syzbot for one such bug.
> Now I understand that it was not the right thing. It doesn't show on
> the dashboard and I don't know how to undo it :(.
>
> Bug's dashboard link -
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=4c7fd5b46451d957a3d8188f393f1982f9753fe7

Hi Himadri,

Transitions to terminal states are not undo-able. Consider the same
bug is rediscovered concurrently with one undoing "#syz invalid". Now
we have 2 versions of the same bug and it will be an incomprehensible
mess.

But marking one bug in such a way is not the end of the world. We have
other real bugs marked as invalid. So no worries.