[Linux-kernel-mentees] Linux kernel checkpatch.pl mentorship

Dwaipayan Ray dwaipayanray1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:43:49 UTC 2020

> Good investigation. Can you please share the commit of the commit message
> you refer to in the future?
>
> I found it, commit cd2614967d8b ("checkpatch: warn if missing author
> Signed-off-by"), but to convince the maintainers and authors that you did
> your homework properly, it is good to refer to the commits you looked at.
>
> The kernel documentation tells you how to refer to commits.

Yes sure, I will remember to do that in the future.

For now, I am thinking to fix the split FROM header issue. What I have thought
of is to keep a variable keeping the part data and if the author cannot be
resolved at the present line, then at the next line join the data and parse
the email.
I think the implementation to this will be fairly easy, with one
flag variable to indicate whether the from header has been parsed in the
previous line.

Should i proceed with this?

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.