Starting a Wiki for Syzkaller Bug Fixing Resources

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Wed Apr 28 05:42:40 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:50 PM Esme Xuan Lim <esmethedev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Having been on the bug fixing mentorship, I've been collating a bunch of
> resources that helped me as I was going. I've been thinking that there
> might be a big gap in resources in where interns might be looking and
> was keen on trying to put one together. Given the current conversation
> Greg has brought up about syzkaller bugs needing more attention, I
> figured this could help fix it if interns are the only ones available
> for this task.
>
> I think it'd help the kernel mentees current and future sink their teeth
> quicker into fixing bugs, and less into helping themselves learn what is
> needed. This appears to be a big gap that would really help if it were
> filled. Resources are heavily abundant for the Linux kernel, but a good
> level of curation and maintained resources could help with bug fixing.
> Resources look old, but are incredibly insightful. I would have skipped
> looking at these resources given my experience with more modern
> frameworks and toolkits (which is that it would be best to avoid
> outdated ones as APIs change very quickly - but this is not the case
> with the kernel)
>
> I've got links and things but I've been wondering if it made sense to
> build on the Kernel Mentees or to build a wiki (and host it) on
> something more modern like github.
>
> I'd love to hear suggestions for how best to go about this, and if
> anyone would like to contribute to it too.

Hi Esme,

I totally agree.

FWIW I am ready to host it at:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/tree/master/docs/linux
I guess it won't be that much syzkaller-specific, so I don't know how
much you want to host it in the syzkaller repo.
Otherwise it would be useful to at least announce on the syzkaller@
mailing list and/or add a link somewhere in the docs.