[Linux-kernel-mentees] Patches from the future - can checkpatch help?

Dwaipayan Ray dwaipayanray1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:11:33 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:20 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 5:37 PM Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 10:04:01PM +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > on linux-next,
> > > $ git log --pretty=format:"%h%x09%ad" | awk '$6>2021 {print $1}'
> > > gives:
> > > 4a2d78822fdf
> > > 12ca45fea91c
> > > 09f2724a786f
> > >
> > > These are patches from the year 2085, 2037 and 2030 respectively.
> > >
> > > Would a checkpatch rule be helpful for these or are they too
> > > isolated to waste runtime on?
> >
> > Dates come from your email client, not the patch itself, how is
> > checkpatch going to catch this?
> >

> Dwaipayan, there are two ways:
> - We build a bot listening to mailing lists and check. I like that
> implementation idea for various other checks.
> - Stephen Rothwell could include this as a check on linux-next and
> inform the git author and committer.
>
> I am wondering though if that is worth the effort, three instances of
> a wrong date among 1M commits seems to be very seldom and the harm of
> that mistake is quite small as well.

I agree. I felt it was isolated as well but it might affect people who do
static analysis on the commits or such.

The idea of a bot seems nice though in general.
People do have all the style checking scripts at their disposal, but still
we see style issues on the list.

Something similar to the kernel test robot, but for style issues seems nice.
Is it something the community would like?

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.