[Linux-kernel-mentees] Addition of verbose mode to checkpatch

Joe Perches joe at perches.com
Sat Jan 23 16:59:27 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-01-23 at 19:41 +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:

> But the most interesting idea here is to use an external documentation file,
> say Documentation/tools/checkpatch.rst which can be parsed by checkpatch
> and consecutively displays the verbose messages while emitting warnings.
> This serves two purposes:
> o Adding the verbose mode
> o Adding an external documentation for checkpatch
>
> Is this idea acceptable to you?

Very much so, yes.  An external file is a much better choice.

The idea that it could also be .rst documentation is interesting.

I presume the checkpatch documentation would the first section of the
doc and the verbose descriptions would be another section/chapter.

Try it and see what you come up with.

Implementation wise, please have checkpatch read the file only if
--verbose is enabled and store the verbose description contents so
that the file is only read once.