Mining Maintainers mentorship program - mentee Selection tasks

Parvathy H parvathyhiyer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 14:01:26 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 08:35:31AM +0200, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 6:59 AM Parvathy H <parvathyhiyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would like towork on the tasks for the mentee selection.
> >

> Thanks for your interest.
>
> For the mentee selection, please work on the following exercise:
>
> First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
> the x86-defconfig build configuration.
>
> There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
> repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
> file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.
>
> Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?
>
> Now, search for specific maintainer entries; Please answer: Who are
> the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?
>
> DMA BUFFER SHARING FRAMEWORK
> DRM DRIVER FOR ARM PL111 CLCD
> HARMONY SOUND DRIVER
> IOC3 ETHERNET DRIVER
> KASAN
> KFIFO
> MAILBOX API
> MAN-PAGES: MANUAL PAGES FOR LINUX -- Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
> SQUASHFS FILE SYSTEM
> THANKO'S RAREMONO AM/FM/SW RADIO RECEIVER USB DRIVER
> TIPC NETWORK LAYER
>
> Please let me know about your answers and always send your responses
> to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list.
>
> After that first exercise, exercises 2 and 3 will follow.
>

> Lukas

Hi,

WHAT is stored in the MAINTAINERS file
_______________________________________

MAINTAINERS file contains information about maintainers and some tips for those who want to submit patches.

First part of the file gives some general gudelines to follow while submitting patches is provided in the MAINTAINERS file.

In the next part, decriptions used and their meaning is given.

In the next part, the list of maintainers corresponding to different sections are given. This part contains information like maintainer's mail ID, mailing-list, status (whether the area has a maintainer or not, or is it an obselte subsystem etc), files and directories wildcard patterns etc. This information is listed under the relevant section name.

Maintainers and reviewers of given sections

DMA BUFFER SHARING FRAMEWORK
        Maintainers:
        1. Sumit Semwal <sumit.semwal at linaro.org>
        2. Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com>

DRM DRIVER FOR ARM PL111 CLCD
        Maintainers:
        1. Emma Anholt <emma at anholt.net>

HARMONY SOUND DRIVER
        Individual maintainer/reviewer detail not mentioned
        Mailing List: linux-parisc at vger.kernel.org

IOC3 ETHERNET DRIVER
        Maintainers:
        1. Ralf Baechle <ralf at linux-mips.org>
KASAN
        Maintainers:
        1. Andrey Ryabinin <ryabinin.a.a at gmail.com>
        Reviewers:
        1. Alexander Potapenko <glider at google.com>
        2. Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl at gmail.com>
        3. Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov at google.com>

KFIFO
        Maintainers:
        1. Stefani Seibold <stefani at seibold.net>

MAILBOX API
        Maintainer:
        1. Jassi Brar <jassisinghbrar at gmail.com>

MAN-PAGES: MANUAL PAGES FOR LINUX -- Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
        Maintainers:
        1. Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages at gmail.com>

SQUASHFS FILE SYSTEM
        Maintainers:
        1. Phillip Lougher <phillip at squashfs.org.uk>
THANKO'S RAREMONO AM/FM/SW RADIO RECEIVER USB DRIVER
        Maintainers:
        1. Hans Verkuil <hverkuil at xs4all.nl>

TIPC NETWORK LAYER
        Maintainers: