Regarding LFX Mentorship

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 04:26:10 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 8:01 PM Aliya Rahmani <aliyarahmani786 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I'm Aliya, an aspiring mentee and a passionate developer. I am
interested in the Checkpatch Documentation mentorship program and I would
like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.
>  Kindly provide me the details of the task for the mentee selection
process.

Thanks for your interest.

The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with

the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.

First, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

Second, please always CC: linux-kernel-mentees at lists.linuxfoundation.org.

Third, set up your email client according to the kernel community rules.

Here is some information to that:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#no-mime-no-links-no-compression-no-attachments-just-plain-text
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/email-clients.html

Generally more information on submitting patches and responding on replies
is at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

Once the zeroth task is understood, you can now move on to the first task:
Running checkpatch on a specific file

Get a clone of the Linux kernel repository. The script checkpatch.pl is
under the scripts directory.

Then, the first task is to run checkpatch.pl on a few files below and share
the results:

kernel/watch_queue.c
drivers/edac/amd64_edac.c

Which information on these rules that checkpatch warns about is available
in the Checkpatch Documentation?
If documentation of these rules is available, explain your understanding of
the rules in your own words.
If no information is available in the documentation, explain your
understanding of the rule.

In any case, explain the violation that is checked and raised in the
checkpatch script, i.e., what is implemented in checkpatch to check the
rule and possible violations.

Explain how to possibly fix this code with regards to that violation.

Once you succeed on this first task, we inform you about the further second
and third task.

If you fail on any of those tasks, you are out of the selection process.

The selection of the mentee will happen according to schedule, at earliest
on August 12th and at latest at the end of August. More information is
available at
https://docs.linuxfoundation.org/lfx/mentorship/mentorship-program-timelines
.

Good luck.