Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers Mentorship Tasks

Utkarsh Verma utkarshverma294 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:15:34 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 06:41:45AM +0200, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:

> First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
> the x86-defconfig build configuration.

I successfully cloned the Linus's Kernel repository and compiled and
installed the kernel on a virtual machine.
$ uname -a
Linux uver-laptop-vm 5.14.0-rc2-mining-maintainers-mentorship #1 SMP Tue Jul 20 14:46:26 IST 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
> repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
> file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.
>
> Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?

The MAINTAINERS file consists of 3 parts:

1) First section consists of tips that one should follow for submitting
the patches.

2) Second section consists of the description of the abbreviations used
in the file.

3) Third section contains the details about the subsystems like the
names of the maintainers, reviewers, mailing list etc of the subsystems.

Maintainer: Tony Luck <tony.luck at intel.com>
Reviewer: Qiuxu Zhuo <qiuxu.zhuo at intel.com>

> EROFS FILE SYSTEM
Maintainers: Gao Xiang <xiang at kernel.org>, Chao Yu <chao at kernel.org>
Reviewer: NA

Maintainer: Oleksij Rempel <o.rempel at pengutronix.de>
Reviewer: Pengutronix Kernel Team <kernel at pengutronix.de>

> MARVELL MV643XX ETHERNET DRIVER
Maintainer: Sebastian Hesselbarth <sebastian.hesselbarth at gmail.com>
Reviewer: NA
Although the maintainer seems to not be active.

> MSI LAPTOP SUPPORT
Maintainer: "Lee, Chun-Yi" <jlee at suse.com>
Reviewer: NA

> PCI DRIVER FOR ALTERA PCIE IP
Maintainer: Joyce Ooi <joyce.ooi at intel.com>
Reviewer: NA

> SECO BOARDS CEC DRIVER
Maintainer: Ettore Chimenti <ek5.chimenti at gmail.com>
Reviewer: NA

> SOEKRIS NET48XX LED SUPPORT
Maintainer: Chris Boot <bootc at bootc.net>
Reviewer: NA
Although the driver seems to be old and outdated. Also the maintainer
isn't active.

> TOPSTAR LAPTOP EXTRAS DRIVER
Maintainer: Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski <herton at canonical.com>
Reviewer: NA
Although the driver seems to be old and the maintainer isn't active.

> TTY LAYER
Maintainers: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org>,
             Jiri Slaby <jirislaby at kernel.org>
Reviewer: NA

> Please let us know about your answers and always send your responses
> to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list. After that first exercise,
> exercises 2 and 3 will follow.

Thanks and Regards,

Utkarsh Verma