[RFC] scripts: kernel-doc: avoid warnings due to initial commented lines in file

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:21:39 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/3/21 12:23 pm, Aditya wrote:

> >> I really don't think we need that kind of heuristic.  The format of
> >> kerneldoc comments is fairly rigid; it shouldn't be too hard to pick out
> >> the /** comments that don't fit that format, right?  Am I missing
> >> something there?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> jon
> >>

> Hi Lukas and Jon!
> I have a question, should I clean up the files with '/**' like
> comments in only header lines? Or as we are planning for making it
> generic, for other lines as well?

Aditya, of course, if you can detect and come across some unintended
'/**' comments in some files, clean them in the same go (as you did
with ecryptfs).

I am just worried that if you extend it to the fully generic case,
that the list of cases simply explodes: showing many 1,000 cases
across various 1,000 files that need to be cleaned up, and such
clean-up work is just too much to get done by yourself.

The current list limited to comments in header lines seems to be a set
of patches that you can probably get done.

Lukas