[linux-pm] Hibernation out-of-memory problem.

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Tue Oct 13 12:25:13 PDT 2009

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday 10 October 2009, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm trying to port a graphics DRM device driver over to the new power
>> management hooks in
>>
>> struct dev_pm_ops.
>>
>> During the "prepare" call, Video RAM contents may be copied either to
>> shmem objects or pages allocated using alloc_page().
>> Unfortunately, this seems to lead to the hibernation process running out
>> of free pages.
>>
>> One possible cause is that the function swsusp_shrink_memory() is called
>> before the prepare() call, and therefore doesn't free up enough memory.
>>
>> What would be the correct way around this? Should swsusp_shrink_memory()
>> be moved to after prepare(), or is it possible to get some kind of
>> notification after user space processes is stopped, but before
>> swsusp_shrink_memory()?
>>

> There are suspend/hibernation notifiers that can be used for this purpose.
>
> Thanks,
> Rafael

Thanks, Rafael. I tried that and it works fine.

Now, it may be that others will hit this problem as well, as the
documentation in <linux/pm.h> states that it is safe to make
GFP_KERNEL allocations from within a prepare() callback. Such
allocations executed in the prepare() preceeding a freeze() will
probably make the amount of previously freed memory insufficient.

Thanks,

Thomas