[llvmlinux] LLVMLinux - great progress on x86

Jan-Simon Möller dl9pf at gmx.de
Sat Jul 14 17:08:14 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I'm Jan-Simon Möller, and together with Behan Webster
we've been working on the LLVMLinux project:
http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org

I'm proud to annouce the availablilty of the LLVMLinux project
on i586 and x86_64!

Let me first introduce the LLVMLinux project:
The LLVMLinux project aims to fully build the Linux kernel using Clang
which is the C front end for the LLVM compiler infrastructure project.

The hope is that this project will help reduce duplicative work,
as well as concentrate, and accelerate efforts around this subject in
order to allow Linux Kernel developers, and system integrators
to have the choice of a Clang compiled Linux kernel.

The goal is for this project to be a testing/proving ground for these
updates and to get patches that make this possible upstream to their
respective  projects.

Back to the announcement: The project now has booting Kernels for
ARM, X86 and X86_64.

The project now also has the automated build-tool "llvm-setup" and
the infrastructure and to be able to build Clang/LLVM and then
the Linux kernel with it.
Test cases are then executed on the resulting kernels under QEMU
in order to test that the Linux kernel has been properly built
and to look for bugs.

Credits for the LLVM and Linux kernel patches go to the
PaX team, pipacs and Bryce Lelbach. You guys rock!

But the work isn't finished yet. There is still work to be done,
still bugs to be found and fixed before all these patches
can be sent upstream to their respective projects.

How can you help? The project needs people to try the build system,
test the resulting kernels on real hardware, find out what isn't working
and fix bugs. Though work is currently centering around the ARM,
x86 and x86_64 architectures, it would be great to see contributions
to other architectures such as MIPS, PowerPC, etc.

As always, patches accepted!

Watch the video of the clang-built kernel booting :
http://youtu.be/Jp04DMXH2Rg

Check out our project buildbot at:
http://buildbot.llvm.linuxfoundation.org/waterfall

Try it!