[llvmlinux] Notes from ELCE

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Wed Nov 7 14:53:05 UTC 2012

Jan-Simon and I were at the Linux Foundation's Embedded Linux Conference
Europe (ELCE) and Linux Con Europe (LinuxCon EU) this week.

We took the opportunity to talk tell as many people as we could about the
LLVM Linux project and in particular talked to many of the Linux kernel
developers that were here.

The general reaction to the LLVMLinux project was positive. Most had heard
of the project. The overwhelming message I heard was that it was an
interesting idea that would be welcomed. Though unsurprisingly it has to
work, not break anything, and not make the kernel code any less readable;
which of course, makes sense!

But quite a number of people were open to reviewing patches, and interested
in giving clang a shot, especially once clang/LLVM doesn't need patching in
order to be used with the Linux kernel.

Overall very positive.

Behan

--