[llvmlinux] phoronix forum posts on llvmlinux

Charlebois, Mark mcharleb at quicinc.com
Thu Sep 13 00:15:02 UTC 2012

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?73619-Formalizing-The-LLVMLinux-Project-Clang-ing-Kernels

----- Reply message -----
From: "Behan Webster" <behanw at converseincode.com>
To: "Compiling the Linux Kernel with Clang/LLVM" <llvmlinux at lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: [llvmlinux] Using quilt instead of python scripts
Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 15:46

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Mark Charlebois <charlebm at gmail.com<mailto:charlebm at gmail.com>> wrote:
The recent change to the build system to use quilt has broken msm and would likely break any non-tip Linux build (i.e. raspberry pi).
That was an unintended side effect. Mea culpa.

The old system used to allow upstream patches that didn't apply to be filtered at the patch hunk level. Currently if a patch hunk does not apply then the patching process fails and there is no easy way forward.
It will only really work when we get all the builds working from HEAD. But that won't happen anytime soon. :(

One advantage to using something like quilt is that the patches are designed to apply cleanly. One of the issues we had before was that people couldn't necessarily take our patches and use them elsewhere without the same kind of scripts to remove parts of the patches. That kind of makes it difficult to upstream clean patches...

I am all for using quilt as long as it doesn't remove the previous functionality.
My intention wasn't to remove functionality, though I have to admit I added it rather more quickly than I should have. Again, my bad.

I think we needed to add the ability to support patches for other kernel trees. Or indeed, the arch/all patches maybe needs to be per kernel tree. Afterall, if the code in a kernel tree diverges from mainline, or is old enough, merely removing some of a patch if it doesn't apply doesn't seem like the appropriate action to take. Rather better to have a patch which is meant for that tree which does the same thing as the patch which failed.

I think we can make it work.

Behan
--
Behan Webster