[llvmlinux] What's the status of llvm linux for X86_64?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Apr 29 17:49:16 UTC 2013

On 13-04-29 12:16 PM, Marcelo Sousa wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can someone elaborate on what's the status of the project for X86_64?
It builds, boots and works in our limited testing so far.

> I'm interested in applying my static analysis tools that I developed
> for LLVM IR to the Linux Kernel.
Sounds great!

> However, it's clear that clang is not there yet to cope with Kernel code.
It's not that simple. The kernel code does a number of things which are
very gcc-ish and in some cases break the C standards. We largely patch
around those problems. The work is upstreaming fixes to the kernel, or
upstreaming code to LLVM to add compatibility. This is ongoing work.

> Are you applying patches at which level: clang, Kernel or both?
Both code bases. We have a few more things we want to upstream to
Clang/LLVM, but it will mostly work fine for clang 3.3 when released.
There is a lot more to upstream to the kernel still (mostly because
without a clang which works, upstreaming code to the kernel which they
can't test is a non-starter)

> Some weeks ago I was able to generate LLVM IR for vexpress, but I need
> a more functional infrastructure that can work for x86 and several
> version of the Kernel. Is this at all possible at the moment?
Give x86_64 a try.

Try building it in our build system. It is the easiest way to work with
all of these updates (and the easiest to try new code we add).

> I'm willing to spend time coding and fixing issues, so please feel
> free to point me around. Furthermore, when will you have the next meeting?
The meetings are scheduled with doodle polls then announced on this
mailing list. You should have seen the latest meeting listed here this
past Friday. Here it is again for your convenience: :)

Thursday, May 2 at 3pm UTC (11AM EST) on Google Hangouts. Make sure you
circle me on G+ so I can add you to the call.

We hope to see you there!

Behan

--
Behan Webster