[llvmlinux] ARM Integrated Assembler by default

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:45:24 UTC 2013

Hi Renato,

I am starting to do so. But some fixes are needed. So far I have got:

tinti at lyon:/mnt/w1/tinti/work/llvmlinux/targets/vexpress/src/linux
(master)$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- -j9
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=1 CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y
CONFIG_NO_ERROR_ON_MISMATCH=y
CC?="/mnt/w1/tinti/work/llvmlinux/toolchain/clang/install/bin/clang
-gcc-toolchain
/mnt/w1/tinti/work/llvmlinux/arch/arm/toolchain/codesourcery/arm-2013.05"
2>&1 | tee build2.log
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
  HOSTCC  scripts/sortextable
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
clang-3.5: error: unsupported argument '-funwind-tables' to option
'Xassembler'
clang-3.5: error: unsupported argument '-march=armv7-a' to option 'Wa,'
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

I will keep trying and let you know. If you want to try it is quite simple
I can explain you.

Regards,
Tinti

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We're trying to push the IAS by default on ARM's back-end to be ready
> for 3.5, and I need your help to make an argument.
>
> So far, people have compiled large projects (like Chromium and other
> internal stuff) with the IAS, as well as I am running the test-suite
> and the build tests with it and all seem fine. There were a number of
> bugs (which we'll collect here: http://llvm.org/PR18158) but all of
> them were fixed.
>
> Can you guys compile the kernel with the IAS turned on, just to see
> how many bugs would crop up? You can either add "-integrated-as" on
> Clang's command line, or apply the attached patch to LLVM before
> building the kernel.
>
> Also, I don't expect it to solve any problem, so please compile the
> kernel with your patches already in it, just to make sure we're not
> hitting bugs that GAS also fails.
>
> Let me know your findings, and I hope we don't find too many bugs...
> fingers crossed! ;)
>
> Thanks!
> --renato

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication