[llvmlinux] Android Builders and Embedded Linux Conference

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Tue Feb 26 03:59:53 UTC 2013

I gave talks on the project last week at both Android Builders and
Embedded Linux Conference which show cased the excellent work done by
everyone who has contributed to this project. And the response was very
positive.

The talk at Android Builders Summit (ABS) was about building Android
with LLVM; In the end I wasn't able to get very far in building Android
with LLVM, so instead I talked about the process and the current
challenges in building the LLVM Linux patched kernel for the Galaxy S3,
and the success in building the LLVM Linux patched kernel for the Nexus
7. Thanks to both Tinti and Jan-Simon for their efforts in helping me
with the Galaxy S3, and Tinti's huge success in getting the Nexus 7
working first try! It meant I had a demo of the LLVM Linux patches
running on an Android device to show off at the conference

The great thing about the ABS talk is it lead to talks with Zach
Pfeffer, and Bernhard Rosenkränzer from Linaro (http://linaro.org/).
They are interested in adding an LLVM compiled Android, including the
LLVM Linux patches to http://android-build.linaro.org/ . Zach (Android
Platform Lead at Linaro) is keen to get the build working on their
systems and being able to start testing it on their LAVA test farm.
Bernhard is the Linaro compiler guy, and intimately familiar with the
Android build system considering he just released gcc 4.7 support for
Linaro Android.

The talk at the Embedded Linux Conference (ELC) went very well, with the
biggest audience I've had yet hearing about the state of the LLVMLinux
project with lots of questions, and support.

 From this talk various people at yocto (http://www.yoctoproject.org/)
talked to me about getting LLVM/Clang into yocto (and OpenEmbedded) so
that they can then properly include and build test the LLVM Linux
patches there too.

So lots of progress and tie-ins with big embedded projects with wide
industry support interested in including the work from this project.
This is a great step to wider adoption!

behanw at converseincode.com