[llvmlinux] Quick build against stable versions of toolchain (llvm and clang) and Linux-kernel?

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:11:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

first of all I wish all people from the LLVMLinux project a happy new year!

After a case of death in my family I dropped all my OSS activities for a while.
I do not think I will do much for this project.
So, that is why I was so quiet.

When I join G+, this will mean I will start blogging about technical stuff.
I have a lot of Mini-Howtos and Howtos here.
But be patient...

The last weeks I started to build again mainline and Linux-Next kernels.
...and playing with Linux Test Project (LTP).
I would like also to test a llvmlinux-compiled Linux-kernel with LTP!

Today, I remembered the $JOBS variable (more verbose:
$parallel-make-jobs) from common.mk Makefile.
After stealing your getconf-line I looked over the x86_64 patches:
Linux-kernel plus toolchain (llvm and clang).
So, I started to reflect about a quick build of LLVMLinux, but I have
some questions as I was absent for a while.

What is {the | your | a good} base for the Linux-kernel (speaking of x86_64)?
v3.7.y (latest stable version)?

$ grep "Kernel Configuration" -nr ./
./targets/x86_64/config_x86_64:3:# Linux/x86_64 3.7.0 Kernel Configuration
./targets/x86_64/config_x86_64_default:3:# Linux/x86_64 3.7.0-rc5
Kernel Configuration
./targets/i586/config_i586:3:# Linux/x86_64 3.7.0 Kernel Configuration

Is the listed kernel-config a good base?
Can you send me a x86_64 kernel-config which you know to be good means
boots on real bare metal?

Same question to llvm and clang.
v3.2 (latest stable version)?

Personally, I wanted to test against ***stable*** versions of all 3 components.
And I guess I will follow my build-instructions in the old lll-project wiki.

Some patches are not listed in the appropriate series files (so-to-say UNUSED).
So, I will take them as-is.
You are free to comment :-)!
I am still against all this uncommon naming of patches (speaking
mostly of the ones for the Linux-kernel).

Dunno, maybe I will put all my work (against stable versions) in my
GitHub account.
Today is a good day: 3 millions of users at GitHub /o\ :-).
( FYI: With lll-project I pushed my 1st patch via git-email to a
remote GIT repository! )

And if you have any news you think are worth to shout out, I am listening...

Thanks in advance for answering all my question.

Kind Regards,
- Sedat -

[0] http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux.git;a=summary
[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ltp/