[llvmlinux] Quick build against stable versions of toolchain (llvm and clang) and Linux-kernel?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Jan 21 14:37:50 UTC 2013

On 01/21/13 07:39, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> I think people are interested in "stable" work against stable releases.
We don't have "releases". The output of this project isn't a compiler
and a kernel; the output is test results, and upstreamed patches. The
LLVMLinux project is a meta-project.

The point of the project is to figure out the what changes are needed in
both LLVM and the Linux kernel and how to get those changes upstream.
Since a really big part of that decision is made by the upstream
maintainers (they don't always want to accept our changes as is, or in
the way we've implemented them) we have absolutely no way of providing a
"stable release" without forking each of the upstream projects; forking
code is definitely not the point here.

The LLVMLinux project's goal is to contribute to a stable upstream LLVM
toolchain release which has the fixes in it in order to be able to
compile a Linux kernel, and to contribute to a stable upstream kernel
code release which works with that LLVM toolchain.

The checkpoint mechanism that Tinti is talking about is a configuration
file which allows you to use the build environment we have to checkout,
patch and configure LLVM, and the Linux kernel for a particular build
target such that you can test against that one target. But it does allow
people to build and test against a particular version of the code cross
the multiple git repos involved in order to try a known-good version of
the patches against known-good versions of the involved code.

However, it you aren't using the LLVMLinux build environment, the
settings file won't help too much.

Is there any way we could convince you to try out the build system? If
you work within it your efforts are a lot more useful to the rest of us.

Thanks,

Behan

--
Behan Webster