[llvmlinux] Quick build against stable versions of toolchain (llvm and clang) and Linux-kernel?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Jan 21 14:53:51 UTC 2013

On 01/21/13 09:24, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> [ arch ]
>
> arch/x86_64/patches
> arch/x86_64/patches-3.2 <--- NEW
The way the patch system works now it would be:

arch/x86_64/patches
arch/x86_64/patches/v3.2

> Personally, I would highly appreciate the usage of a $PATCHES_DIR in
> $TOP_SRC_DIR!
We opted to use a hierarchy similar to the linux kernel. All arch/arm
related things (scripts, patches, etc) are kept in the arch/arm
directory. I see no benefit in changing that.

> NOTE: I am not familiar with the build-system of LLVMLinux and can't
> say if this is hacked in a few minutes or needs a lot of rework :-).
This would require a complete rewrite of our build system. It's not
going to happen. Our time is better spent working on better patches and
upstreaming them.

> All the patches which are regularly adapted should get rid of any crap
> like "diff git" or "Index" lines (see for example patch-handling of
> OpenWrt). Simply use --- a/ and +++ /b!
The patches are created by git or by quilt. As long as they are readable
and understood by both those tools, we're probably okay.

> The git-diff-stats line are in some patches are after getting
> refreshed simply wrong.
That is true. Only git format-patch updates those automatically. I try
to update those manually; they should be updated or removed if incorrect.

> All this would make refreshing of patches for upstream a bit easier.
I think you mean "backporting patches for older upstream releases". That
is unnecessary, and duplicated work. Patches for older upstream releases
are already in our repo; we just haven't necessarily tagged them is all.
Again, not really the point of the project, though you are welcome to do so.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw at converseincode.com