[llvmlinux] No toolchain patches needed?

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:43:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/13 07:07, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am astonished to see that LLVMLinux needs no more extra-patches for
>> its toolchain.
>> Since which llvm/clang version is this the case? v3.3?
>
> We haven't required patches for LLVM for a couple months now, and we
> predicted in April (?) that v3.3 would be the first Clang we could use
> without patches. It was even in an Phoronix article. :)
>
> Some patches were upstreamed, while others were archived because they
> weren't required anymore. That's not to say there aren't more bugs in LLVM
> that will need fixing in the future.
>
> Just Linux Kernel patches now.

Great news.

Those Linux-kernel patches makes me go through the wall [1].

Why has ARM a cooler kbuild-patch [2] than arch/all?
Embedded within...
#ifeq ($(COMPILER),clang)
#endif

Why has ARM toolchain-patches below arch/arm/ where there exist
toolchain-dir in toplevel?

A lot of questions...

( I try to understand and rework on x86_64 patches the "dileks-style". )
( Taking Linux-v3.10 as a base. )

- Sedat -

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild&m=137303858415018&w=2
[2] http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/patches/kbuild-clang-arm.patch