[llvmlinux] [llvm3.3linux3.10] x86_64: Two missing patches in series file?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Tue Jul 9 21:16:27 UTC 2013

On 07/09/13 16:53, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Behan Webster
> <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:
>> On 07/09/13 09:33, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>>>
>>> As said building is not the real goal... Running on bare metal is...
>> The project currently only tests the x86_64 on bare metal. Although
>> Jan-Simon is working on a qemu x86_64 boot so we can add it to the
>> continuous integration build.
>>
> What means "tests"...
Nothing formal right now. People test it by using it to boot their dev
machine, and run their normal desktop apps. Not a thorough test for
x86_64 yet.

>> Without more info, I'm afraid we can't do much to help. Have you tried
>> building the kernel using the LLVMLinux build system? I would be curious to
>> see if that works for you.
> It happens to early - so not logs or screenshot, sorry.
> What should that change if I use the LLVMLinux build system?
Consistency. The build system nails down versions of tools and source
used and such. It allows people working on the LLVMLinux project to be
able to remove variables when issues like this occur. Exactly what
you've built, and how you're building it is not something that we can
see, nor is it something you've told us (other than in the most vaguest
of terms). However if you use the build system you can trivially
replicate the same build that I can build here.

>> There are no user space dependencies on the compiler used to build the
>> kernel (so no, you don't need any clang-libs in your initrd).
>>
> Did not investigate my initrd.img, if sth. like libgcc is inside.
User space libraries are used by userspace, not by the kernel.

> I have seen you have no CONFIG_MEI set, guess my system needs that for booting.
The project certainly doesn't guarantee that the config file will work
with your specific HW. That's something only you can really figure out.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw at converseincode.com